First IL Senator Edward Maloney (D) and the Nanny State went trolling for Home Schoolers with SB 136 to get them forcibly registered and bureaucratically tied up. Even though public school administrators and bureaucrats should have NO jurisdiction over homeschooling families, thankfully the bill was tabled.
Yet now another IL Democrat is pushing for more govt intrusion with the support of the United Nations’ treaty, Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).
IFI E-Alert: Free Families to Serve God & One Another
In his famous letter from a Birmingham jail Martin Luther King Jr. observed, “Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.” Senator Kimberly Lightford (D-Westchester area) has introduced a very troubling anti-family, big government resolution.
Senator Lightford’s resolution calls for the support of a radical United Nations treaty that would usurp parental authority to oversee their own children. If this treaty is officially ratified by the United States Senate, it would become legally enforceable throughout our country. The Lightford resolution, if passed by the Illinois General Assembly, will put Illinois on record in support of the horrible United Nations’ Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).
The adoption of this evil globalist resolution will force the government into the sacred parent-child relationship. CRC supporters want the government to have a say in what church your children attend, how much time they spend on chores, what websites and books they read, whether they should be homeschooled, and who they choose for friends.
According to the Homeschool Legal Defense Association Senator Lightford’s legislation will “enable state agencies and judges to begin implementing aspects of the CRC in the state of Illinois, even if the U.S. Senate never ratifies it.”
To preserve freedom, families in Illinois must demand the rejection of the Lightford resolution, and instead ask their representative to endorse the important Parental Rights Amendment, which is being introduced in state legislatures all over America. (Watch for more information on this in the near future!)
Remember, Christian families must diligently and vigorously defend freedom. Dr. King’s observation above reminds us of the fact that our godless government is not just going to give it to us.
You can also call the Capitol switchboard at 217-782-2000.
It is vital that you voice your concerns to your your elected officials in Springfield regarding SR 92. Please ask them to reject this resolution.
David E. Smith
Ten things you need to know about the substance of the CRC:
- Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.13.
- The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent’s decision.14.
- A child’s “right to be heard” would allow him (or her) to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.15.
- According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children’s welfare.16.
- Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.17.
- Christian schools that refuse to teach “alternative worldviews” and teach that Christianity is the only true religion “fly in the face of article 29″ of the treaty.18.
- Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.19.
- Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions, without parental knowledge or consent.20.
- Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.11.
- A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.12.